Bloodstain Pattern Analysis – Basic
This basic course in Bloodstain Pattern Recognition will assist crime scene investigators in recognizing the value of bloodstain evidence. Recognition of patterns will provide leads for further investigation (e.g. is this a suicide or a homicide and may provide a basis for DNA selection ) All theories are proven through hands-on experimentation.. Should an analyst not be available to attend a specific crime scene, graduates of this course will be able to properly record the scene for analysis by a qualified analyst and subsequent court presentation.
N.B. The course is taught in English and meets the requirements set by the IABPA.
This course will assist crime scene investigators in recognizing the value of bloodstain evidence. All theories are proven through hands-on experimentation. Recognition of patterns will provide leads for further investigation Should an analyst not be available to attend a specific crime scene, graduates of this course will be able to properly record the scene for analysis and subsequent court presentation by a qualified analyst.
In the course the following topics will be covered:
- History of bloodstain pattern analysis
- Theoretical background
- Specific photographic requirements
- Measurements of bloodstains
- Enhancement of trace bloodstain evidence with chemicals
- DNA (sampling) requirements
- Case reviews
- How to visualize an impact pattern by using strings
- Using bloodstain patterns to reconstruct crime scenes
- The course meets the requirements set by the IABPA.
Once you have successfully completed the course:
- You will recognize the different bloodstain patterns
- You know what mechanisms caused them
- You are able to make a global interpretation of what might have happened
- You know the possibilities of forensic bloodstain pattern analysis
- You can perform an optimal registration
The course is completed by both a written exam and a practical competency exam.
Experienced forensic technical investigative police officers, forensic science laboratory staff and forensic physicians.
Dates and Duration
Dates: no dates available.
Five consecutive days, from 9.00 - 17.00 h (40 hrs)
€ 1750,- per participant (no VAT) depending on group size. Prices include a course manual, lunch and refreshments during the course.
For more information and to register complete our contact form. Please indicatie on the form you are interested in the course 'Bloodstain Pattern Analysis – Basic'.